Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hayden's Birth Story

Baby #3: I have been blessed with quick and easy labors/deliveries and this one was no different. (I know, slap me already.) While both of the boys came a little early I hated to count on that for Hayden. However, on Thursday, August 7th (36 weeks, 1 day) I woke up and noticed that I was having contractions. They weren't super painful but they were uncomfortable enough for me to notice them. They were about 25 minutes apart. I had my regularly scheduled appt with my OB at 10am so I figured I would wait until then to see if it was anything I needed to worry about.

After chatting with one of my favorite nurses we decided that it was probably nothing. I also mentioned it to my doctor and he also said it was probably nothing. Since I was getting the Strep B test done my OB went ahead and checked to see if I was dilated. To his surprise (and mine) I was already at 5cm. I wasn't quite sure what that meant. Was she coming today? How soon? How long could I stay at 5cm? He told me that he couldn't send me down to L&D because my contractions were too far apart...you can't deliver a baby with contractions 15 minutes apart. Totally agree and didn't want to go sit down in L&D...so I went on my merry way.

After calling Kevin I tried to run a few errands...but I was so scatter-brained that it was hopeless. I ended up heading home to pack my bag and make sure everything was ready to go. Kevin came home from work early so that we could go pick up the boys from school. It was now 2:30 and my contractions were still about 15 minutes apart but not getting any stronger...so I took Ryan to his speech therapy. Afterwards I picked up Grayson and we headed to playgroup. Just hanging out tracking my contractions....now they were about 10 minutes apart BUT still not incredibly painful. We headed back home at 5:30 and Kevin picked up some dinner for us. After having dinner and playing with the boys we started the bedtime routine. I told Ryan that he might have a baby sister when he wakes up and he was really excited.

Still tracking contractions...sometimes they would be about 5 minutes apart but not consistently. I would get one five minutes and then the next wouldn't come for 10 or 15 minutes. It was frustrating. At about 10pm I was so tired of tracking contractions and just decided to head to bed. I was really worried that this would cause me to get to the hospital too late (like with Grayson...which was so painful), but I was so exhausted and annoyed that the contractions were not consistent that I convinced myself that they would go away and I would continue to be pregnant for a few more weeks.
At 12:30am I woke up from a strong contraction. Woah...I waited for two more. They came quickly, about 3-5 minutes apart so I texted Sarah and asked if she could come over and watch the boys. Kevin and I packed up and waited outside until Sarah arrived. We got to the hospital about 1:30? After checking in they took me right to a delivery room.

I was incredbily calm and my contractions were painful but not ridiculous like I remember with Grayson. It took a while to get my IV in (they always have a hard time finding a vein) and it wasn't until 2:20 that my epidural was in. Yay! I was happy to have it but my right leg was completely numb. It was disturbing.

Anyhow, I was ready to deliver within 45 minutes and I thought I was about to start pushing...but after my nurse talked to my OB he suggested that I "labor down". Basically there was no rush to deliver because my water hadn't broken and my doctor wanted to get antibiotics in (via IV) since she was four weeks early. So...I just waited. Kevin slept and I hung out. I was so tired but I couldn't sleep. Awesome. When that clock hit 6:10 the nurse came in and started prepping the room. My doctor came in at 6:20 and got ready to go...and then we started. The room was quiet and calm and her delivery was very peaceful...it was perfect. 
She was delivered at 6:31am.

Happy mommy and daddy!

Little Hayden was having a difficult time "transitioning" so they brought her to the admissions nursery to keep a close eye on her. They watched her oxygen levels and made sure she was breathing well on her own. 
We were able to go and visit her ...she was under this little hood thing to help with her oxygen levels. They assured us that she was doing well and that they would be able to bring her to us in a few hours. I was able to get a little rest while we waited for her and they finally brought her in at 4pm. 

Sweet baby girl!

Once again...we are in LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...